Quinoa Asparagus Salad
This simple Quinoa Asparagus Salad is tossed with English peas, fresh dill, parsley, and toasted almonds in a lemony dressing. This salad is very healthy and flavorful, and can even be made ahead, making it perfect for special gatherings or midweek lunches! Plus, it's gluten-free and vegan-adaptable!
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups shelled fresh English peas or substitute shelled edamame, radishes, cucumber, snow peas or even spring greens
- 3 scallions - thinly sliced at a diagonal
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, more to taste.
- Optional: 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: crumbled goat cheese or feta, sliced avocado, sunflower sprouts or pea shoots, flower petals (chive blossoms are nice).
- Rinse the quinoa and place it in a pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and allow it to simmer on low heat for 12-15 minutes. Turn off heat, and let sit covered for 5 -10 minutes, then uncover, fluff with a fork and let it cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, blanch the peas and asparagus in salted boiling water for just a few minutes, until bright and tender. Rinse under cold water.
- Place the cooled quinoa and blanched veggies in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill and almonds and give a toss. Add the oil, lemon zest and lemon juice and salt, pepper and stir again.
- Taste, adjust salt and lemon, adding more if you like. If you are making this ahead, be sure to taste before serving as flavors will mellow - so I'll usually add a little more salt and lemon.
- Serve with optional avocado, feta, goat cheese, sunflower sprouts.
Recipe courtesy of Feasting at Home